Monday, June 05, 2006

Alleluiah! Summer is here...


So, unlike last weekend when I was out and about all day, every day, I had a nice quiet weekend to myself this time out. And the weather was perfect. Last weekend, in between moth fighting sessions, I managed to get soaked by the wonderful English weather three times! That'll teach me to leave home without an umbrella. After all these years, you'd have thought that I'd know better!

So this weekend was spent strolling around London, bumping into version-3-point-1 (momentarily), and taking a few photos here and there. I hung out in Trafalgar Square for a while, (mad) people and (evil) pigeon watching. I ended up chilled out, lying in the grass, in Hyde Park before walking home as the sun set through Notting Hill, Holland Park and Shepherd's Bush. I was knackered after all that!

Today, I went to the cinema to see United 93, the film about the hijacked 9/11 plane that didn't make it to its target. It was one of the most intense, emotional films that I have seen since Schindler's List. And more so because of how close to modern times it is. I take planes all the time and some things were too close for comfort. I could relate to the ordinariness of the flight before all hell broke loose. I could hear a few people sobbing through the movie and I could feel tears well up in my eyes at one point. Needless to say, everyone left in complete silence.

Oh, and I booked my holiday the other week. I'll be flying into Beirut, then from Lebanon into Syria and finally making my way down into Jordan to visit Petra and float in the Dead Sea. Three months to wait before I go though...

2 comments:

3.1 said...

That pigeon looks scary! :o

Was lovely to see you! (And your Howies t-shirt!)

doobrie said...

I got to use the macro function on my telephoto lense for the first time to get that evil pigeon picture.

I always wondered what the macro switch on the side of the lense did (telephoto and macro on the same lense just confused me, so I tended to ignore it). Perhaps I should rtfm in future!