Thursday, June 08, 2006

Fire!


Summer has arrived and I am off sick with a freaking cold!
I'm all bunged up with a lovely runny nose, sore throat and high temperature. I'm not sure how effective staying at home is either, as the thermometer in my flat tells me that it's 26 degrees C!

Anyway, so it's quite hard to sleep at night but there I was last night just nodding off in the early hours when I heard a loud bang followed by the sound of breaking glass.
"It'll just be the kids off the local estate setting off fireworks," I thought to myself but then there was a strange, unfamiliar crackling noise too.

I looked out the window and.... "Bloody Hell!", there's a fire outside the building opposite.
It didn't look too large but they all start small don't they and it was generating a plume of smoke. So I looked for my phone to ring 999 but then could hear through my open window that a few hours where already doing so. Either they've all got woken up or I'm not the only insomniac in the block tonight.

Sure enough, far off in the distance I can hear the sound of a siren, though this isn't a rare thing as both my local police and fire station are within two blocks.

Whilst waiting for the local fire fighters to arrive I spotted someone down below, seemingly out for a stroll. They were creeping up to the fire to get a closer look. Next thing I know, they've gone around the corner, come back and chucked some liquid over it.

Okay, now this could either be a clever, or very stupid thing to do...

The fire did seem to flare briefly when they did this. If they'd been a local drunk chucking their can of beer over it then things wouldn't have gone well, but lo and behold, it must have been water, the fire fizzled out.

And just then the fire brigade arrived, inspected the ex-fire, reversed and drove off!

All the excitement did the trick for me, as in so far as I can remember, I fell asleep straight after this.

No comments: