Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Silence Of The Moths

So, it was with some trepidation, heart pounding, that I put the key into the front door of my late mother's flat. What lay beyond?

I expected the flat to be dark and humid, curtains drawn and a plague of large rubbery moths zero-ing in on me for disturbing their new squat as soon as I walk in through the entrance.

My hands would try to ward them off unsuccessfully. Discarded cocoons would crunch underfoot on the half eaten carpet and I would stumble. As I scream they fly into my mouth...

Later I wake up to find myself in complete darkness, pushed into the bath, unable to move, in a giant cocoon whilst a giant moth man comes to eat me...slowly....

As you can see, I had thought about this, waaaay too much!

Of course, it was nothing like this. I managed to fight off the moth man that was living in the bathroom and fend him off with a can of insecticide and flush him down the loo.

Seriously though, the moths were just tiny clothes moths and there weren't that many of them. They hadn't propagated that well because: (and I learnt this from the interweb, so it must be true.)

a) There weren't any clothes left in the flat.

b) None of the fibres left in the house, such as the carpet, were natural. Clothes moths only really go for natural fibres such as wool or cotton.

c) There were a few spiders doing the rounds and lots of dead moths already in a few hidden, dark corners where the webs had done their work

So to cut a long story short, I bought two cans of Rentakill wasp and moth killer for less than four quid, covered the flat in it and went back on the Monday to vacuum up the dead bugs.

The whole place has never been cleaner!

So all's well that ends well. *phew!*

Doobrie 1 - Evil Moth Empire 0

No comments: