Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Another Card Bites The Dust


A typical journey in today. Travelling in on a packed Hammersmith & City train, we are asked to get off at Edgware Road to what is an obviously already absolutely jam-packed platform in the hope of catching the rammed-full train just coming in on the opposite platform. *sigh*

Luckily for me, I only have one stop left to go so get out and do the ten minute walk instead. Granted the exercise is good, right?

But unfortunately:
1) I strained hamstring muscles over the weekend, so walking isn't as comfortable as it should be at the moment.
2) Walking alongside a busy main road for ten minutes isn't all that brillant either.

I got into the office and check my e-mail to find one from play.com telling me that my card had been refused. What?! *sigh* I have had a few weird problems over the weekend where my card was fine in some places but not so in others.

So I ring my bank to find out what's going on.

"There has been possible fraudulent activity on your card, sir. Did you not get a letter from us last week asking you to confirm this?"

"What?!!! No. I havem't received anything." I wonder to myself if I've left something unopened assuming that it's an advert or some other piece of junk mail.

It turns out that some gambling site registered in Gibraltar had twice tried to withdraw money from my account. *big sigh*

This is the second time in three months that this has happened to me. I look back over my transactions and they are all for large well-established outlets....All that is apart from one....

My jaw drops. I used my card to buy a carpet in Morocco. I KNEW that I should have used cash!!! Damn! Damn! Damn!

I explained this to my bank but they didn't seem all that bothered but they cancelled my card and now I have to go through the rigmarole (oooh, never typed that word before) of waiting for a new card and moving anything across that was using the old one....

No comments: