Saturday, September 10, 2005

Struck Down By Lightning



Well okay, so I wasn't struck by lightning but something certainly knocked me sideways on Wednesday evening as I headed home.

The blood drained from my face and my temperature shot up. By the time I'd got home I was soaked through with sweat.

I've spent the last two days off work trying to keep anything I eat down for more than 5 minutes and trying to keep cool which isn't as easy as it should be in a flat that is currently 29 degrees!

However if laughter is the best medicine then a show on Challenge TV that was recommended by someone at work has definitely been a great cure for me. It's called Takeshi's Castle.

It's one of those 80's Japanese challenge shows where contestants line up to do stupid stunts that invariably end up with them getting injured or humiliated. It starts off with 100 contestants who undergo a serious of challenges and are eventually whittled down to a few who get to storm the castle at the end (though I've yet to see anyone succeed at the last stage.)

Each challenge is brilliant and watching the contestants fail is soooo funny. I've not laughed so much in a long time....

So I'm starting to feel a bit better today, though still too hot.

I took the photo above in Hyde Park as I walked home on Wednesday evening. (I felt fine at the time.) It's of a tree (or what's left of a tree) that was stuck by lightning back in the 90's (I can't remember the exact year but it's is on a plague attached lower down the trunk.)

Oh the irony!

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Takeshi's Castle!!! We get that in the US on SpikeTV, only it's called Most Extreme Elimination Challenge over hear. It's hilarious. ;)

doobrie said...

Ah, we have that too. It's over-dubbing is worth the programme alone!

In the UK, Takeshi's castle on the other hand has commentary by Craig Charles (Lister in the Red Dwarf series) and it seems to depend on if you've got him on a good day or not as to how funny he is for a particular show. Or perhaps whether it was the 50th episode he's had to comment on that day!