Monday, August 22, 2005

Elevation

I wake up and head out into the garden for some fresh high elevation air. My godmother’s place is 200m above sea level and is on a road that sees barely a handful of cars each day. The only sounds that I can hear are dogs barking in the distance. No cars whatsoever.

No wait. Damn…Off in the distance is the sound of a plane. It’s probably miles away but being so quiet I can hear its distant rumble spoil my paradise.

My godparents have no plans for us to go anywhere today so we talk a lot and play with their four-year-old hound dog, Freddi. They along with my uncle have one thing in common. First topic of conversation…

They ask “Why haven’t you got married yet?” *sigh*

My uncle even suggested he would arrange for me to join a Hungarian dating agency to find myself a nice Hungarian girl. Apparently, having a degree and a good job, makes me a highly eligible bachelor.

I’m told, “You should have no problem finding a woman in Hungary.

Who knows, maybe one day?

My godmother and her husband (who likes me to call him godfather even though I still have one of those back in London) are a highly practical couple. They are both in the sixties and moved here six years ago and have pretty much redesigned the interior and exterior of the house in a way that any ‘Changing Rooms’ type programme would be envious of.



The house is immaculately looked after inside and the garden which runs down a slope is laid out in rows of fruit and veg and they have even built their own outside gazebo with a place to cook food in the centre.

Today we made use of the outdoor cooking facilities and had a delicious meat stew with, yes, lots of bread!

No comments: