Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Descent Into Darkness

It rained on and off yesterday and there have been floods across Hungary, Germany and Switzerland. In search of something to do we drove off to a place called Lillafüred. It was about ninety minutes drive. It’s interesting to drive through Hungary just because the countryside is beautiful and the towns different from anything I am used to in England. However as soon as we set off it absolutely poured down and didn’t stop until later in the day when we were heading back. My trusty umbrella got well used again today.

Apart from a beautiful setting, Lillafüred doesn’t have much else to offer other than a lake, huge Bavarian-style hotel and three sets of caves. It’s probably a nice place to go camping for a long weekend, though not in today’s weather!



We had a wander through two sets of the caves (where at least we could stay dry) and got some snaps of some waterfalls in the area. The stagatites and stalagmites were quite interesting though I’d seen better in Hungary and China last year and you can only see so many in a lifetime without being blasé.

My ’godfather’ had come well prepared to go into the cold 10ºC caves with just sandles and a cardigan which was quite funny. He insisted that he wasn’t cold though.

We had lunch when we got back (yesterday’s leftovers) and then I had a nap. This fresh air seems to be having the effect of leaving me tired without really having done much. That perhaps, or the lack of things to do?

When I woke up 2 hours later my godparents were having supper.
I said, "But we only ate lunch 2 hours ago!"
They replied, "We always eat supper at this time."
I guess that they are a bit set in their ways! *sigh* I declined and had my cold supper much later. (Hungarians generally make lunch the main meal of the day and just have a cold supper, which inevitable, in my case anyway, involves bread!)

We have had a lot of thunder rolling across the hills this afternoon. Our poor old hound Freddi is terrified. He ran and hid in the garage earlier and later was lying in the patio shivering away. We tried to cheer him up and make him feel safe with us but he just wouldn’t stop shaking. I managed to coax him out of his kennel later and played with him for a while which I’m quite pleased to do as it’s the only kind of exercise I’m likely to get here..

I have my company medical next month so know I’m not going to do too well on the weight front. If I can get off my arse then lots of jogging when I get back!

No comments: