Sunday, August 21, 2005

Run for the hills!

My godmother was down in Ujszasz (as she still has family here) for the national holiday and had arranged with my uncle to pick me up at 9am. My uncle hurriedly drove off to return just before nine with a bottle of Hungarian Tokaji wine for me.

My godmother had, however, arrived early so it was a bit of a rush to leave. My grandmother didn’t turn up though, so I’m a bit upset that I never got to say goodbye to her properly. I do hope that yesterday wasn’t the last time I’ll see her.

We stopped off at the local (1 hours drive) Tesco on the way back to my godmother’s house in Ózd. It’s set within a big mall and is larger than any that I have been to in the UK. Tesco seem to be all over the place in Hungary. Their only competition here seems to be German supermarkets.

Unfortunately there is a bit of history between my godmother and uncle. I have no idea of what has caused bad feelings but my uncle suggested that next year I stay with him for 10 days and my godmother for the remainder. When I got to my godmother’s place, she suggested that I stay there for two weeks and no time at my uncle’s!

I stay non-committal throughout the whole thing. In terms of things to do, my uncle has the upper-hand. My godmother lives up in the Northern Hungarian hills just south of the Slovak border. The area is beautiful with national parks all around but is still basically in the middle of nowhere with an hour’s journey to get anywhere. The weather forecast, however, is not good for this week so I worry that our options may become even more limited :(

No comments: