Friday, June 01, 2007

One Step At A Time

So the girlfriend and I have been going out for a while now and we were told by one of our friends that it's obvious that we're still in our "honeymoon period."

But travelling from one side of London to the other is definitely a hassle, and since we can't claw back that time lost, the best thing that we can do is to look into ways to improve this aspect of our lives.

Okay, so it's not as if we live in different parts of the country or even in different countries like some people in relationships do, but nevertheless, it can still take up to 2 hours to get door-to-door and that is a chore. (And it also rhymes.)

Originally the other half thought about buying a place of her own a bit closer to me but, to be frank, I was lucky that I managed to get a place here seven and a half years ago. Right now there's no way that she can afford to buy a place anywhere near me.

On the other hand, if we combined incomes we could, but despite the intense feeling we have for each other there's still that little voice in our heads saying "Come on! You've only been going out for ten months. That's a BIG step!"

And that little voice is right. We both know that it is.

So, we've decided to take the slightly smaller, more manageable step of renting a place together for a year or so and if after that period we are still on speaking terms and haven't killed each other, taking the bigger step of buying a place together.

Furniture and appliance-wise I can shift my stuff into the rented flat (saving money) and then rent out my flat.When we are ready to buy a place together, I can sell the old flat, sell off my company shares and we can combine incomes to get a deposit and mortgage on what will hopefully be a larger, nicer place.

Hmmmm, now if only we could agree on where to rent something. But, one step at a time...

No comments: