Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Work In Progress

So, it was first day at the new office today and a new journey into work. Okay, well strictly, I can still take the old journey from Acton Town, get off earlier at Hyde Park Corner and walk across Hyde Park to the office.

I'd tried that yesterday on the way home to figure out how long it'd take to walk from the office to the station (15 mins) and to see what other options I'd have.

Today, I decided instead to take a bus to Shepherds Bush (approx 20 mins) and then catch the Central Line to Marble Arch (10 mins,) which would have been okay but for the fact that the main road was closed off by the police and my bus got diverted up to the A40 and then back down to Shepherds Bush the long way! *sigh*

So in fact it took me 40 minutes instead of 20 and I only just made it into work on time.

But the fun didn't stop there. Our office is still mainly a building site. We're only there in a "testing the IT systems" capacity and the rest of the staff move in next Monday. The bits where we're located have been cleaned up but the rest of it is still exposed wires hanging from the ceiling, covered walls and lifts (as in the picture) and various bits of debris.

Oh and the temperature in the office started off at 18 degrees and fell to 15 degrees by the time I had left after 5pm. Brrrrrrrrrrrr!

So there I was in my fleece, jacket and woolly hat for the whole day, trying to work.

I have no idea why but I seemed to be more affected by the cold than anyone else. In fact I was still shivering when I got home. Hopefully I won't come down with a cold over the next few days.

No comments: