Monday, June 26, 2006

A Room With No View


So there I was in the cinema last Thursday night. I hadn't been for a WHOLE week, so was, quite naturally, starting to feel withdrawal symptoms. So I went along to see The Fast & The Furious: Tokyo Drift (nice short franchise title there!)

As it was, so long as I was there for some high octane, volume turned up to 11 car action and not expecting anything other than a plot that a five year old could write, then I'd be fine. I enjoyed it as a entertaining, leave your brain at the door, popcorn movie.

It was on at the largest screen in the local and despite being numero uno in the UK charts, the screen only had about a dozen other people in it.

So there I was, waiting for the ads to start, all settled in with my coke and munchies, a few people in front of me and few behind, the rows in front and behind me, completely empty, when this guy walks in, chooses the row before me and plonks himself right down in front of me!!!

Right, it's an empty row....And he freaking sits in front of the one person in the row behind him....WTF?! What kind of a wanker is he?

My view of the screen now consists of this:
[Left quarter of the screen - back of stranger's head - right quarter of the screen]

Now, I could have moved but for some reason the principle of what he had just done REALLY pissed me off. I thought about asking him why he had sat there but then resorted to something that I had never before done in my life.....

I started kicking the chair he was in!

Once....twice...three times...But he doesn't react.

So then I pull by leg back and really kick the chair HARD. He turns around, "Is something wrong?", he asks quite calmly. "No," I say back, just as calm.

He faces forward....I'm annoyed now. I wait a few seconds and kick the chair HARD again. The kick causes my coke in the holder to pop its top and spill about a tenth onto the floor.

"Is something wrong?" he asks, now annoyed. "Hmmm, same question. He's real imaginative," I think to myself.

"Sorry, I just spilt my coke." So much so that it's now rolling down the inclined floor towards his feet. "Ah, that was an unintended side-effect," I think.

But he's stubborn, so I recommence kicking. After three more, he gets up and sits one seat to the right, out of my eye-line.

*phew* I'm glad that's over. My feet were starting to hurt(!)

But I'm happy now and about 20 minutes into the film, the coke reaches his feet and he gets up and moves to a completely different part of the cinema!

Now why would someone sit directly in front of someone else when so many other, equally good seats are available?! I'll never understand!

And I now realise the lengths that I'll go through to defend my view!