Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Movie Review Of The Year 2005

Cue flashy music and intro sequence.... Welcome to.....

Nah, forget all that. Well, for those that don't already know, I love going to the movies. I made over sixty visits over the past year and even managed to go when I was in Hungary to see a film (luckily in English) with Hungarian subtitles.

I've actually also managed to not see any out-and-out awful films this year or maybe it's because I can generally take something out of any film that makes it seem better afterwards. A scene, a line, a shot, whatever....

So here, for prosperity, is my list for the past year: (and sorry about the dodgy formatting. I got bored halfway through and rushed this out before I fell asleep at the keyboard.)

Average:
(Not crap all the time but also nothing special for its genre.)
Sahara, Strings, Sky Blue, Appleseed

Okay:
(Shows promise in bits but descends to being just average at times too.)
Criminal, Around the Bend, Madagascar, Silver City, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Longest Yard, Wolf Creek

Liked:
(Okay, so this depends on my mood at the moment in time but generally if I feel that I have enjoyed the movie and liked it all the way through.)
2046, Ray, Meet the Fockers, Sideways, Robots, Bullet Boy, The Interpreter, The Edukators, Kingdom of Heaven, Ong-bak, Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith, War of the Worlds, Fantastic Four, Dear Wendy, The Island, Crash, Me and You and Everyone We Know, The 40 Year Old Virgin, Land of the Dead, A History of Violence, The Brothers Grimm, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Producers

Liked, a lot:
(Felt like I had seen and enjoyed an entertaining or sometimes thought provoking movie coming out from the theatre after these. So money, well spent. Things I would buy on DVD afterwards. Yes, I have toooo many DVDs.)
Closer, Million Dollar Baby, A Very Long Engagement, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, Ocean's Twelve, Constantine, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, The Downfall, Mean Creek, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The Jacket, Only Human, Sin City, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Batman Begins, Kung Fu Hustle, Broken Flowers, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Where the Truth Lies

And, ta daaaaa......

My Films Of The Year:

The Aviator - Amazing cinematography and set pieces, a fascinating story, an excellent performance from Cate Blanchett as Katherine Hepburn and even Leo was good too. I always think he looks too young to pull it off but he did in 'Catch Me If You Can' and he does here too.





Hotel Rwanda - Fascinating, thought provoking and beautifully shot. A serious story that needed to be told.








The Descent - The most entertaining blood splattered, horror movie for years, bar none!









Serenity - Interesting, well developed characters in an intelligent, amazing and most importantly action packed and entertaining science fiction movie. What the Star Wars prequels should have been. That it flopped at the box office is the biggest disappointment of the year for me!



The Constant Gardener - This film looks beautiful, Rachel Weisz looks beautiful and acts beautifully in a proper 'grown-up' role alongside Ralph Fiennes. A great thriller!






Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - I've not read any of the books so am not bothered by all the bits that didn't make it into the film. It's three hours long and is a non-stop entertaining fantasy roller coaster ride that doesn't feel over long. Great ideas, great effects and amazing set pieces. Plain good old fashioned fantasy fun!




King Kong - Set pieces to die for. They just get larger and better! A great fantasy movie where the relationship between the girl and the ape takes centre stage like it never has before. Just amazing. A great, popcorn event movie!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, I agree with most of your choices for good films of the year, especially your films of the year. But I'm absolutely horrified that you put Ocean's Twelve in your 'liked a lot' category. This was the worst, and most dissapointing, as well as confusing film I have seen this year. I did have certain expectations from the fantastic Ocean's Eleven, and this met none of them.

doobrie said...

I must have been in a funny mood when I saw Ocean's twelve. I even liked the bit where Julia Robert's played herself! Everyone else seems to think that was lame!

Maybe when I next see it, I might think otherwise but I thought it was fun at the time.

:O)