Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Wishing For Snow

Winter has arrived in style in the UK, people stranded in Cornwall, caught out by the weather that had been advertised for the past few days(don't they watch TV?), but still no sign of snow in London :(

London covered in snow is such a cool thing. Something that I really look forward to it. It covers up all the crappy bits (and until it all goes slushy) it makes everything look clean and conjours up visions of Christmas and cheery thoughts in me.

Loads of people nowadays moan about Christmas. It's too commercial, doesn't really mean anything, too many crowds, who cares, bah humbug, blah blah blah.

Well sod them! I love Christmas! Okay, so I don't really have a family to buy presents for or stay over with, so I can do whatever I like, so that may be a big factor and it can be lonely time too but just putting up my tree, cards and a few decorations still warms me more than I can explain why.

Perhaps I'm filled with fantasy-fueled visions of Christmas from old movie classics like "It's A Wonderful Life," or else like the time off work, our office shuts down for almost two weeks, though I'm working three half-days before the new year to get back as full-day holidays. Who knows?

The loneliest I get, I guess, starts at midnight mass. I used to do this with my mum and then stay over at her place on Christmas day for a nice stuffed turkey and all the trimmings and then a nice nap with a full stomach :)

That I miss the most...I guess but I try not to think about it too negatively. It's a good time to remember my folks over a few drinks. I still stuff myself (though not a turkey) and have a nap in the afternoon :)

So, I bought myself a new camera on the internet on Friday. It's a compact 8 Mega Pixel jobbie. Only 140 quid, so cheap and cheerful, really. (By a company called BenQ...Who?) It's not really a replacement for my trusty old 5 Megapixel Nikon but is a lot easier to carry around and will come in handy to smuggle into gigs. I wish I had it last week for the Natalie Imbruglia concerts where everybody and their next door neighbour had a camera.

I got thrown out of the same venue a couple of years ago for taking a camera and refusing to give it up. I showed the bouncer how crap my photos were, "Look, I'm not a professional!" but he wasn't having any of it! And it was only a Cowboy Junkies gig where I found out that the band posed for photos after. Sodding over zealous bouncer!


Oh...and I even bought a frigging lightweight tripod so that I can take night shots without the Shakin' Stevens special effect that I normally get, even with my Steady-Eddie hands.

Anyway, I've attached a few shots taken with the camera taken using the tripod. The top one is of Trafalgar Square and the second a close up of the signage(is that a word?) at Piccadilly Circus. Will probably go and take a few more with the Nikon next time to get a decent comparison.

Oh....And I saw the Harry Potter film earlier on in the week. If you like fantasy films you'll find that it's bloody good. 9/10 from me!

No comments: