Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Tube Etiquette

I'm still running a temperature so I'm taking Paracetemol to keep myself high so that I can function normally as a human being.

It also means that I feel that I can justify grabbing a seat on the tube on the way in in the morning.

Generally I'll try to get one if one's available. I've noticed however that subconsciously I've applied a set of rules as to whether or not I'll go for a seat.

First I'll wait a second or two and will never go for a seat if a women or someone else much older is already heading towards it.

Then, only if nobody budges, I'll head for the seat, regardless of if there is someone older. If at any point someone else goes for it, I won't bother 'rushing' as that's just sad. You do get situations when sad people rush in and jump on any seat that they can regardless of anyone around them.

I generally close my eyes and listen to music or read a book on the way but at each stop have a quick shifty around to see if someone elderly or pregnant has got on that I should give me seat up for. Well, I was brought up that way!

Sometimes though I find myself thinking,
"Hmmmm, that person isn't really all that old and definitely not at all frail looking" and won't give up my seat. "They'll probably get offended if I offer my seat, anyway" That has happened to me in the past.

Then again sometimes I end up thinking "Is that a pregnant women or a large woman?!" Without trying to stare too much, obviously!

Despite them being complete strangers that I probably will never see again, I get embarrassed if I've not realised that there is someone standing nearby that I haven't given up my seat for, that perhaps I should have.

Hmmmm, I have been well programmed, no?

But not feeling too well at the moment, I find myself talking quicker less detailed notice of my surroundings and just closing my eyes and trying to stay cool.

Even walking up stairs has me feeling boiling at the moment. *sigh*

Hopefully my temperature will break soon so life can go back to normal.

No comments: