Saturday, September 03, 2005

Return Of The Ants...


Hmmm. I've been feeling really lazy this week.
It's been: Wake up, go to work, come home, waste time doing nothing special, go to sleep....

When I got back last Sunday night I was curious to see whether the ants that I share my flat with have multiplied, died, taken over the leasehold or whatever...

The pest control people arrived about an hour before I set off on holiday and put down two sets of bait; one in my kitchen, the other in the bathroom. The bait (ironically made in Hungary) is stored in a little stick-on plastic container with two long openings at the top for the ants to get in.
Initially at least, my hopes where buoyed as there were loads of dead ants in my bathroom around where the bait was stowed (behind the toiler brush!) and no sign of any ants near the one in the kitchen although the level of the bait (tiny, brownish capsules, like little lumps of dirt) had gone down.

*sigh* However the ants have returned. I guess that their water source dried up but now that I'm back they are back in bigger numbers than before but in different places.

I've moved the bait to put it directly next to where I see their new trails are, so I hope it'll have some effect in the new places as it did in the old. God knows how many nests there must be in the block.

Could be hundreds!? = Thousands of ants! ARGH!!!!!!

As I type this one strolls past above my keyboard. It's like having my own 24hr nature programme. Doobrie's Discovery Channel!

Luckily there are no food or water sources in my bedroom, so that's my safe haven for now!

I'm off down London tomorrow to see 'Me and You and Everyone We Know' at the cinema, generally wander around and get back in time to watch the footie. It's my best friends birthday on Sunday so I'll have to wait and see if he plans on doing anything tomorrow night.

Well, must stop thinking too hard...It's time for bed.

I took this picture today as I headed off home down Baker Street. It's the signage outside the Sherlock Holmes Hotel.

No comments: