Wednesday, August 17, 2005

I've Got A Ticket To Ride...But I Don't Care

My uncle and nephew enjoyed the bowling so much that we decided to head back in to town again today and give it another go.

The original itinerary, however, was a bit different.

My uncle is an overland train driver and he’d arranged for us to hitch rides both ways from the town in the driver’s cabin and to drive the trains for a bit. Now I know that it’s a stupid thing to say, perhaps, that I didn’t want to do this but he just didn’t seem to consider the fact that this was a dangerous proposition. The boy in me would love to do it but I’m far too law-abiding in a foreign country to know that I should be doing anything like this.

Don’t worry” he said,
They only have inspectors check the drivers once every five years, so you won’t get caught

*sigh* “That’s not the point” I thought.

Anyway, we headed into town instead for a spell of bowling and movie number 43 for me, “The Longest Yard.” The Hungarian translation is “The Bone Crunchers” which is probably a catchier title.

It’s a remake of the American football in a prison movie, “The Mean Streak” and Burt Reynolds who was the star of the original has a more than cameo role in this too.

To be honest, I expected the movie to be in Hungarian but it turned out that it was in English with Hungarian subtitles. Apparently only the “big” movies get the full dub treatment. The film was okay but utterly by the numbers predictable. Let’s just say that it won’t win any Oscars but fans of other Adam Sandler films will like it. Plus atmosphere-wise the cinema just had a dozen people in it, so was a bit too quiet for a film where you want a bit of audience reaction to add to the effect.

Bowling wise we had a great time though. Perhaps I’m a bit biased as I actually finally managed to beat my uncle with his weird hurling technique J
I was all set to get my highest score ever and we ran out of time and the game reset!

Argh! Oh well, there’s always next time!

No comments: