Thursday, August 18, 2005

Goats???


We went on an afternoon trip to a town called Kecskemét. Kecske in Hungarian means goat. I didn’t see any other than the one on the town’s emblem.

The Rough Guide says that “…is one of the most attractive towns on the plain”
Okay, so fair enough, it was an interesting enough town and a nice way to use up an afternoon. My uncle let my niece come with him and I this time on account of the fact that my nephew would be coming on a trip with me to Budapest tomorrow.


When asked, my nephew and niece say that they are 14 and 10 respectively. I know that they are 13 and 9 but apparently according to both of them “You can add on a year once you are halfway there”!

I’ve been spending a bit of time in Hungary metaphorically walking into lamp-posts. The women have something about them that my Hungarian blood obviously agrees with and I’m finding myself distracted all the time. Hey, I can’t help it! I’m just enjoying my time here! Today, I even managed to flirt with a girl selling melons on the roadside unbeknownst to my travelling companions. We gave each other wistful looks as I was driven off into the sunset after having bought some of her juicy melons. (*groan* Sorry I couldn’t resist than pun!)

We visited the Cifra palota (literally "fancy palace") that is now an art museum with weird decorative outer walls and strange blue chimneys, a few "fancy" churches and saw a walking-talking tea pot. Honest... See!



Otherwise the day was pretty much spent loafing around not doing much. I went along to the local supermarket, (there aren’t as lot to choose from), to help my nephew with the shopping. There are a lot of western goods in the shops so you can pretty much buy the usual stuff if you want to. A poster of David Beckham adorns the wall as you walk into the shop.

I was worried actually that my uncle would be angry or at least annoyed by my turning down the opportunity to drive a train but things appear normal today. I also found out that my god-mother (who I’m staying with next week up in the Hungarian hills) is coming down for the big national holiday on Saturday (St Stephen of Hungary) so it’ll make more sense to go back with her on the Sunday rather than taking a train and then an hour journey by car on Monday.

It makes sense but I wish I could stay longer. It’s hard, as I don’t want to hurt her feelings, so I’ll go a day early. We are getting on so well that my niece cried when she heard the news.

2 comments:

3.1 said...

That last picture in the post... classic. It made me smile! :)

doobrie said...

Hehe. Yeah, not something that you see every day :)