Friday, July 22, 2005

I thought things might start to settle down today...



I thought things might start to settle down today. It was an uneventful journey into work and the work day proceeded as usual.

Then one of my colleagues on the phone to his wife said "Something else has happened."

A man has been chased onto and shot on board a train in Stockwell...

Initial eyewitness reports say that he didn't have a bag or rucksack but perhaps was wearing a 'bomb belt.' He appears to have been shot point blank range.

Obviously until we hear the full story at some point in the future we won't know what really happened. But these worrying times continue for all London commuters.

It's horrible because you don't want to typecast or fall into racial stereotypes but I look around my train (which comes from the airport) coming in and find myself looking out for asian men with large rucksacks. Aussies or Europeans, no problem...But the bombers last week looked to be normal people. No obvious mad glints in their eyes. One was a teacher... I have a lot of asian friends, some are Muslim with long beards. I can't imagine what it must be like for them travelling on public transport, especially as pretty much everyone nowadays has a rucksack or bag as they commute to and from work.

Despite all this, everyone faces things with a British stoicism. Life can't stop because these things are happening.

I'm off to see 'The Fantastic Four' tonight in the cinema. I've heard mixed reviews but I hope that perhaps not expecting too much going in may leave me pleasantly surprised coming out. It's one of the pleasures of cinema that it allows you to escape from reality and I have a feeling that this film will be just the cup of tea I need right now. (Apart from the cup of tea I'm currently drinking that is!)

Today's picture is one I took of an evil looking 'duck' swimming in Regent's Park. I like the way the ripples in the water have reflected around it.

No comments: