Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Proposal

Well, boy has it been a packed few weeks for me!

Rome was brilliant. I'd even go so far as to say it was the best holiday that I've ever had.
Okay, so perhaps that view is tinted by the fact that I got engaged on the first night that I was out there but even without that, Rome is such a beautiful and interesting city to explore.

It's the first time that I've actually managed to work myself through a guidebook so thoroughly too. In the space of the eight days that we were there, we managed to cover every part of Rome, in some way or another, and also even managed to hop on a train up to Florence for the day.

The first night, of course was special. I splashed out on a nice meal for the two of us on the rooftop terrace of our hotel. It was slightly pre-tourist season (which kicked off in earnest in August) so the restaurant was not that full and we had turned up past the time that most would have had their dinner.

It was a warm night with a full moon and we were sat at a table overlooking the terrace and a splendid view of Rome was to be had with various church domes and statues lit up on the horizon.

I felt relaxed. I still wasn't sure if tonight was the night that I was going to "go for it" but I had a ring in my pocket, just-in-case! A pianist played in the background and the meal was exquisite. We laughed at the fact that the menu that I had been given had prices on whilst the other half's didn't.

They gave us some complementary sparkling white wine to start off with and then small spoons of pre-course munchies to clear our palettes between courses. We ordered a lovely bottle of rose wine which perfectly complimented our food and then as the meal proceeded and we talked about the future and how happy we were the sound of "Fly me to the moon" wafted across to us.

#Fill my life with song
And let me sing forevermore
You are all I hope for
All I worship and adore
In other words please be true
In other words I love you#

The moment was so perfect, that I couldn't have scripted it better myself.

I held her hand and said, "How would you like to make it a more permanent thing? I love you...Will you marry me?"

I remember her looking momentarily stunned. Her eyes grew as wide as saucers and her jaw dropped but after a few seconds it suddenly dawned on her what was happening and what I had asked and the word that I had been waiting for expectantly passed from her lips in a whisper "Yes."

We hugged and kissed and suddenly the world was a better place to be in.

I hadn't actually bought her a ring (since at that moment in time, even she didn't know what type of ring she would like) so instead I gave her my mum's engagement ring as a kind of place-holder. Whilst it was probably slightly large, she loved it and for one night only it fit her finger well. Her ring finger got thinner a day later and she couldn't wear it for fear of it slipping off but for that one night, it was perfect!

After the meal, we walked out of the hotel and strolled around the nearby streets, which bustle with people all night through, but now as an engaged couple who were happy and so in love...

(ps: Pictures are now up on doobrie.co.uk) More words to come...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the engagement, and it sounds like you picked the most perfect moment and place. From reading bits of the rest of your blog, it sounds like it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Good luck with the wedding!

doobrie said...

Shucks. Thank you. You don't sound so bad yourself :)