Saturday, March 03, 2007

Good Friday

I took Friday off this week. That made it a good day, but things got better...

The sale of my late mum's house went through. It was a one bedroom ground floor flat in a retirement age-only building but it had been on the market for four years now (yes, four!) and I was starting to despair of the monthly, ever-increasing maintenance charge that I had to pay on an empty flat and had thought that nobody would EVER buy it.

But they did, so thanks to this, the second good thing of the day was that I walked into my local Halifax and wrote the largest cheque that I had ever written and paid off my mortgage. I tried my best not to shake as I wrote the cheque. This was a momentous occasion and here I was in front of the cashier trying to look composed as I wrote a large number and then tried to remember how to spell it!

I made it in the end and joyfully handed it over. The cheque, weirdly, had to be paid to me but then you realise that the account, whilst always negative, is still just like any other bank account, just with a lot more zeros and a nasty minus sign in front.

Well, that all done, I popped off to the local sorting office to pick up a new broadband modem that I had ordered from the newly re-branded Virgin-Media (but which they had failed thanks to their own bumbling and the rather bad Parcelforce to deliver to me at work a few days earlier.)

It turned out that they had upgraded my area (without telling anyone, go figure!) and I no longer needed to rely on my faultless though puny (by modern standards) wireless 512Mb connection. So, lo and behold I'm now on a 10Mb connection for the same price as my previous connection. Result!

I finished off the day with a nice meal with the other half to celebrate. It peed down with rain but we didn't care.

It was a good Friday...

2 comments:

Station Supervisor said...

Congratulations on being Mortgage free.

What are you going to spend your old mortgate money on now, surely not more holidays.

doobrie said...

I'd like to move to a bigger place one day, so probably saving up for my next mortgage!