Monday, July 03, 2006

Who Are You?


Hey, so Sunday was just as amazing as Saturday music-wise in Hyde Park. I didn't fancy turning up too early as it's just too flipping hot to be out-and-about at the moment so made it to the park at around half-five in just about enough time to find a decent spot before the excellent Zutons started.

I've been meaning to see them live for ages but haven't made it to one of their proper gigs yet, so it was an added bonus that I got to see them here today. The crowd lapped it all up. We all loved the Zutons!

They were followed by Razorlight, a band that I have to admit have never really taken my fancy. They have a few good songs but I just feel that there isn't really anything that stand out-ish about them. It showed in the crowd too. The applause was muted (though not at the front, where their fans obviously were) and most people only knew about three of their songs. I couldn't quite figure how they'd manage to get second billing today when the Zutons where so much better and much more popular.


Then fashionably late, the star attraction of the night...The Who! (Or Who2 as the pair of them like to call themselves.) Ironically I'd seen them twice last year, at the Royal Albert Hall and then Live8, and once again they were fricking AWESOME!

Here we have two guys aged 61 and 62 (Roger Waters is also 62, I think) and they were really showing the kids how it should be done!

It was a pretty mixed audience age-wise by now but everyone seemed to know all the songs. Needless to say I loved every minute, or as one old geezer next to me kept on reminding me "They're the dog's bollocks, the fucking dog's bollocks!"

Travelling home was the same routine as the previous night. A brisk walk down to Green Park tube and an absolutely packed Piccadilly line train back to home. I got on the train (which was packed before we'd even got on it, so not by people from the concert) and noticed that there was an old lady stood in the aisle with a young chap (well tanned, foreign student looking, in his late twenties) sat behind her in the seat reserved for elderly or infirm passengers. It annoyed me a bit, so I nudged his knee with my knee to get his attention. He looked up and I pointed at the old lady. (She was unaware of all this as her back was to him.) He looked at me like I was mad and shook his head and carried on reading what I notice was a copy of Zoo magazine (a lad's mag, for those who don't know.)

Ooops, sorry, I shouldn't have said reading. I did of course mean, looking at the pictures.

Well, there was nothing I could do. Everyone else sat down was old and he was the youngest and didn't want to give up his seat. *sigh* We had to go all the way to Hammersmith (about 15 minutes) before he got up and she got to sit down.

The annoying thing was that he didn't give a damn. What kind of people, or more to the point what kind of upbringing did he have where you don't give up your seat to someone who so obviously deserves it more than you???

I waffling on a bit now, so I'll wrap up (reading back afterwards, I realise that I carry on waffling for a bit yet) by saying that I walked through Leicester Square today in time to see Orlando Bloom, Johnny Depp and wait for it....Chuck Norris(!) for the Pirates II European premier. And guess what?! My stupid compact camera has seized up now! There was Chuck right in front of me and my camera just blinked it's red light at me, made a noise like a strangled duck and ceased to be. All I'm left with at home now is my bulkier SLR, which I really like but won't carry around with me everywhere the way I can with my cheapo compact *sob* I've only had it for less than a year too :(

Time to dig out the guarantee, methinks!

Oh and finally on the bus on the way home I heard a girl speaking on her mobile by me about the terrifying experience that she had had that today on the Victoria line when the power went out and they sat in darkness for a few minutes whilst people screamed and banged on the windows around her and a stranger by her just hugged her and cried.

Turns out someone had decided to end it all the messy way....

Perhaps it had been the foreign looking chap overcome by the guilt of never having given up with seat for the needy, who knows?

We can only hope he'll be re-incarnated as a nicer person, or a dung beatle.

No comments: