Thursday, July 20, 2006

Shake Your Tail Feathers

Well, there I was sitting in the park (Regent's) chomping on my lunch (Ploughman's), though not in my usual place (too hot.)

In front of me was a fence. Two pigeons wandered back and forth in front of me, one on either side of the fence, in some strange courting ritual. They seemed to be eyeing each other up, which, for pigeons, is one dimensional as their eyes are on the sides of their heads. Then all of a sudden one of them would rush forward to the other bobbing it's head rapidly. Then the other would ruffle its tail feathers out as if it thought that it could compete with a Peacock's and the too and fro movement would resume.

Eventually, I imagine, the female would have been so impressed that they'd get it on, have babies and live happily ever after, for however long pigeons live or stay together?

Now, you may be wondering why I'm writing about this, eh? After all, aren't pigeons fascinating?
Well, no. Not exactly but I couldn't help thinking that why couldn't it be just as easy for us humans. You see....Now I'm getting to the point. I met a girl last week....In a bar, we got on really well (though I have yet to talk to her sober, so I'm not entirely sure just yet) and exchanged e-mails (how very now) and phone numbers (just in case the internet went down but phones stayed going!)

I didn't ask her out that night, 'cause I'm crap and shy like that and because of circumstances out of my control, she ended up meeting up with others and wandering off without saying goodbye.

Which, you'd think, would be like her sending me a huge "Sorry, I made a mistake" but then she e-mailed to apologise and asked me out! And she rang me up at lunch time the same day and seemed to giggle a lot...Okay.....I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. She was nervous. If she rings me three times tomorrow, I'll know that something is, perhaps not right but otherwise we plan on meeting up next week.

She works until really late though without getting paid overtime, which is a bit unfair. Hopefully it's not another excuse. My last girlfriend was a workaholic and I start to think that I have that effect on women, and then she moved to America! *sigh*

So I'm a bit wary and perhaps just a little bit pessimistic but with just a glimmer of hope hiding around the corner afraid to reveal itself, just-in-case.

Perhaps I should just bob my head up and down and ruffle my tail feathers and all will turn out fine?

Nah, maybe I won't try that.

2 comments:

Station Supervisor said...

Turn up in a pigeon outfit, if she turns up dressed as Big Bird, you know your suited.

doobrie said...

And if she isn't?

Then I'm stuffed!