Friday, July 07, 2006

One Year On...

Today I went along to the 7/7 remembrance service in Regent's Park. My office overlooks the park and I also popped along at lunchtime to place a flower into the mosaic of remembrance too.

The mosaic pictured is a work in progress. After all the petals have been filled, the centre of the giant flower was completed by relatives, friends and those injured in the bombings during the main service in the evening.

It had been a dull, overcast afternoon but just after the last flower was placed the sun shone out from behind the clouds and lifted my spirit.

The simple service was quite moving. One of the readers read a poem about her mum and broke down at the end starting off various people around me in the crowd.

The head of the Catholic church in England and Protestant church in London were present in the crowd behind me. This was a time for quiet contemplation and a show of national unity.

Needless to say, looking around me in the crowd, every ethnicity was represented but then that's London for you. I wouldn't expect any less...

No comments: