Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Fool For Love...Any Offers?

Apparently living alone doubles the chance of getting severe heart disease according to a Danish study. So I figure that so long as I stay away from Denmark I'll be fine...Right? Anyhow I AM a fool for love (sometimes) so...

Monday

Went to see an excellent play staring Juliette Lewis. It's was an intense study of the relationship between two people in a motel room on the edge of the Mojave desert, with a few surprises along the way. It always amazes me how something with just a few actors can grip you so effectively. I'd been wanting to see this for a while and when I got an e-mail from one of my random mailing lists advertising half price tickets, I jumped at the chance.

As it was I was sat in a centre aisle seat with nobody else in my row, even though the rest of the theatre was full! I've never been to the Apollo before. It's quite intimate nestled as it is between two larger theatres on Shaftesbury Avenue and small plays like this work so well in surroundings just like these.

And bonus points for being air conditioned too! The number of times I've sat in an old theatre roasting away because the building is protected and they can't do anything to cool it.... The play was an hour and a quarter long with no interval but I'd still felt as if I'd got my money's worth as the length was just right for the well written story to be told.

Wednesday

Went to see the excellent (I'm using that word a lot, I see) Corinne Bailey Rae at Somerset House.

Tried to use my new Canon compact camera (I've given up on the old, rubbish compact BenQ now) to take a few shots but as you can see I still need to get the night time settings right. Oh well, it was a brilliant night with even the problems on the Piccadilly Line (fire alert at Kings Cross) not denting my enthusiasm. Plus the fact that both scenicaly and acoustically, Somerset House is a great venue.

Corinne is so cool too. She always seemed to look into the camera and smile when I was trying to take my shots. I wish that at least one of them had come out in focus *sigh* :(

Oh yeah, and she's taken....*bigger sigh*

No comments: