Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Found Serenity

Sorry all, I've been living a secret second life. An addiction. I've tried to hide it; not let it interfere with my real life but it just took over me for the past week.

So I'm off to Peru on Saturday for detox from the drug that is World Of Warcraft.
Me, Doobrie, currently a 15th level Paladin resting soundly in a local inn :)

I did discover that, like cocaine (apparently,) playing WOW is a great aid to dieting. You just sit at the computer playing, chatting to others, ganging up on monsters, solving quests....
Just one more quest...Just one more level and before you know it, it's 3 in the morning, you're starving and it's time to hit the sack.

Okay, perhaps I didn't get THAT bad but I could feel myself slipping over to the dark side once or twice. Luckily, I have strong will power so can switch off if need be.

Is my life really that boring? Well, no but the World of Warcraft is just so damn interesting. Childhood fantasies of being the hero, casting spells. The amazing creatures you can meet, the whole surround sound, 1600x1200 experience is just too good to pass on.

And it IS fun, why else do hundreds of thousands partake (posh word!)?
Are they all obese computer geeks with no life? Hell, no. People from all over play these things. It is cool in a geek-chic type of way.

Will I ever survive two weeks without it in Peru?! Of course I will :)


Back to the real world, I went to see Serenity at the flicks last Thursday (Played WOW when I got home though.)

The film was awesome. I'm a sucker for sci-fi action and this film (and it's sequels) were what the last 3 Star Wars film can only aspire to be. Exciting, funny, action-packed with characters that get fleshed out better than George Lucas seemed to be able to do lately. Needless to say, I loved it. 10/10 and that is a rare thing with me. I saw the original series Firefly and perhaps that has biased me as obviously the characters are already known to me. However, regardless it was
a good film and with the right word-of-mouth, I hope it does well.

I'm planning to see Night Watch this week if I get a chance. First, I still need to sort out holiday insurance(!), clean my flat from top-to-toe before I go (to lessen the ants' holiday experience whilst I'm away) and sort out what I'm taking and start packing pronto! *stress*

One less thing to worry about though was I did manage to get a really good exchange rate for my currency today from a funny little exchange booth on Baker Street where the guy basically out-bid all the banks and Bureau De Changes in the area who were trying to give me 1.68 dollars to the pound and gave me 1.74 instead. I didn't have to haggle even though it looked like the kind of place where you could. It does look legit, just a bit strange compared to his surroundings. He's squashed between a restaurant and a dentists!

Also, I asked for a receipt and he gave me a hand written note with a stamp on it. LOL!

I'll probably go back in two weeks to find that he's disappeared *grin*

2 comments:

3.1 said...

Have fun in Peru, Alex! :) Hopefully the weather will be lovely there and your eyes and hands (and backside, depending on how hard your computer chair is) will all get a rest from the addiction that is WoW.

You work near Baker Street, no? Do you work on Saturdays? If you do, I'm surprised you haven't seen me around in the locality... on most Saturdays I lounge around on the wall in front of Baker Street Station whilst I wait for my friend to turn up.

doobrie said...

Thanks Anne.
Luckily my computer chair is lovely and comfortable :)

Sorry but I only do Monday to Fridays. It'd be all too much to come in on weekends too!