Friday, August 12, 2005

Last minute shopping


Wandered around London late at night. Bought last bits and pieces for Hungary.

Bought myself a new pair of trainers at Lillywhites (who incidentally don't have a web site. So much for the 21st Century!)

When I paid for them
Me: It's okay, I don't need the box.
Sales Assistant: You won't be able to return the trainers without the box
Me: It's okay I won't return them.
Sales Assistant: It's management policy, you have to take the box.
Me: Uh?
Sales Assistant: You can throw it away outside the shop. There's a bin there.
Me: (I'm talking to a brick wall) Oh. Okay....
I walk out and throw the box away in a bin right outside the door....full of shoe boxes !

Hmmm, in the current climate having a bin full of boxes outside the store. Brilliant management policy!

The managing agent of my block of flats FINALLY got back to me yesterday. I rang twice, left messages and finally e-mailed them. We'd recently switched to them as the last lot were apparently rubbish. *sigh*

My flat has been put to the top of their list for being treated first thing in the morning. *sigh again* No lie in for me then!

I wonder if I'll come home to an ant infested flat. That would be nice !

I was talking to one of the business analysts at work today. He's quite well travelled and was working in Dubai at one point. He said that he came back from holiday and having to switch the electricity back on, with the switch on the other side of his flat, was walking across in the dark wondering why things were crunching underfoot. Had something blown in. He got across to the mains switch, flicked it on and found....

"Hundreds of cockroaches completely covering the floor of the entire flat!"
"They all scurried away apart from the ones he's squelched!"

ARGH! Perhaps ants aren't quite so bad after all!

Well. This'll probably be my last post for a while. Unless I can get to an internet cafe in the remote town that I'll be staying in.

See you soon....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. Just browsing through your blog. I love the everyday pics of London you post.

doobrie said...

Thanks anonymous! :)