Thursday, July 28, 2005

Thursday Tube Jitters.


Complete contrast weather wise. Hot and humid.

Apparently yesterday was the coldest in July for 25 years. Though you'd think that 15 degrees Celsius isn't THAT cold I definitely felt chilled doing all that walking yesterday. I'll never take hot water for granted again...

Today, being a Thursday in London after the past three weeks turned out to be quite an eventful one.

Taking the tube in to work, there was a doubling of police at Acton Town. Reading 'Metro' the free paper we get on the tube wasn't helping things. Pictures from ABC News of unexploded nail bombs and the aftermath of the bombed trains was disconcerting to say the least. My trains in were a lot quieter than usual too so I guess Thursday jitters were affected a few commuters today.

Unusually the train stopped at Earls Court and 16 (I counted them) police appeared on the platform and did a security sweep. Nobody told us what was happening so people looked nervously around wondering what the hell was going on but I guess you can't really promote the fact that police are boarding the train.

Then number two incident....Waiting for a Jubilee line train at Green Park, there were four police on the platform and loads more on the concourse. Two of the police game up to an Asian man behind me and asked him to unzip his jacket. I'm not sure why he was wearing a large Winter jacket but I almost felt embarrassed for him but I hope that he understood why this was being done. Baker Street also had a multitude of Police officers making their presence felt.

Then I got into work and found out that one of the guys in my team had been stopped at Berryfields rail station (a small station in Surrey) and asked to open his bag. He doesn't look Asian but has dark hair and a bit of a tan...

Still...Better safe than sorry, eh?

Then finally to cap things off, around 4pm this afternoon, looking out the window at work, we saw loads of police ushering people away from Marylebone Road and Madame Tussauds and Baker Street station. There's a picture above of this.

As it was, it turned out that there had been a suspect vehicle outside the station that after 40 minutes or so everyone was given the okay and the police tape was taken down.

I disappeared into unreality by going to the cinema after work. I saw a film called "Silver City." It wasn't half bad either. Mind you any film with Darryl Hannah in does it for me, however small her role. I saw her on stage in London a couple of years ago and she was gorgeous! Her acting was pretty darn good too :)

The air con in the cinema was to die for as I had rushed up the escalators at Piccadilly Circus to make it to the cinema, buy a drink and a packet of Maltesers and needed cooling down.

The journey home was, thankfully, uneventful and completely boring....

No comments: